[M3devel] CM3 RELENG: suggestion for distribution packages

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Wed May 27 12:36:34 CEST 2009

Long time ago, I was Modula-2 programmer with lots of my own libraries
doing everything from keyboard input handling and textual windows,
relational database, to complex data browsing and input and postscript
reporting... After a while (2-3 yrs of dev) I had a problem sorting out
library packages and dependicies - same as we have right now.

Solution to this is order detection, and some topological sorting voodoo
with result grouping... In my (historical) case I've got six groups of
modules with controlled inter-group dependicies. My math terminology is
a bit rusty, but partially ordered set of all packages is our input
data, and output data we get from such a process is partially ordered
set of groups of packages. Each element of this final set is one of our
release packages.

min, std, core, .... is going to my nerves since long time ago. I am
surely not only one involved with same reaction :).

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>