[M3devel] CM3 RELENG: suggestion for distribution packages

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 28 02:28:04 CEST 2009

> problem sorting out library packages and
> dependicies - same as we have right now.

We have a problem sorting out dependencies?
I thought the main dilemna was one of "taste" -- too many installable packages vs. too few. Or is it that "taste" and "dependencies" clash?

> Solution to this is order detection, and some topological
> sorting voodoo

If you are satisfied with a linear order that works, pkginfo.txt has one.

If you want something that allows for concurrency, well, we don't have infrastructure currently to take advantage of it.

I believe a non-linearized graph is not difficult to build given what cm3 knows by reading the m3makefiles. Graphs often make my head hurt though.

We should probably, in some future release, 1) move package-to-source-directory feature into cm3 2) allow cm3 to build multiple packages concurrently.