[M3devel] CM3 RELENG: suggestion for distribution packages

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 28 14:50:57 CEST 2009

Yes we have suplib and cvsup.

In general yes, if you are going to ship something, you first have to build and ship its dependencies.
If you are not going to ship something, then you just have build its dependencies, with overrides, and can't ship them.

I believe this does force like an alternating build, ship, build, ship cycle, which then leads to the ship/install/admin/su problem that I've almost never seen well solved. You can build as root, or you can ship to $HOME, or you can be very interactive. Some of the BSD package systems have something where they can become root back and forth.

OR you can ship to a temporary place, targz it up, su, untargz to the real install place, that's not bad. I just have to fix that ".." bug. I will.

cvsup had something strange about it but I think we removed its strangeness.
Like, it could never be shipped.

> Do we have some txt files where these packages are listed by content? Or

Not that I know of.

> Or only way to see them is download?

Browse the CVS repository or the hyperlinked source that is also there?
There's also a package download page I haven't tried.

I admit the need to ship a static lib seems dubious.
But it does have to be built with overrides or not.
Furthermore I'm not sure this whole system is as good as it could be, but I also know it's not likely a well solved problem by anyone. For example if you read the diy-linux list you'll see they have a problem using gcc without running install. It used to work for them but then it bot broken.

> not a well solved problem by anyone

People fiddle around with chroot, "jail", installing to $HOME, static linking, but I'm not sure any of these are satisfactory, certainly not static linking.

There are difficult problems around "just what is meant to be shared".