[M3devel] CM3 RELENG: suggestion for distribution packages

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Thu May 28 15:06:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 12:50 +0000, Jay wrote:

> OR you can ship to a temporary place, targz it up, su, untargz to the
> real install place, that's not bad. I just have to fix that ".." bug.
> I will.

This is solved, with CM3_INSTALL_PREFIX, for simple cases. Can be done
for less simple ones, but that solution is insufficient for package
groups like this one - suplib and cvsup in same package, and to build
cvsup correctly you must ship suplib.

What I did in my rpm system so far is to make suplib source rpm create
two packages, suplib and suplib-devel. For building of cvsup I need
both, for running - only first.

Following this train of thought, I think we need more packages, and have
them obviously grouped, like:

cm3-cvsup-suplib
cm3-cvsup-suplib-devel
cm3-cvsup                 (cvsup proper, we escape cm3-cvsup-cvsup here)
cm3-cvsupd		  (also instead of cvsup-cvsupd, it's obvious)

In RPM lingo I can have (and do):

suplib
suplib-devel
cvsup

And for Group I can have some more info, visible while querying/browsing
packages.

% rpm -q suplib -i
Name        : suplib                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 5.8.1                             Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Sun 24 May 2009 01:20:55 PM CEST
Install Date: Sun 24 May 2009 01:22:27 PM CEST      Build Host: faramir.m3w.org
Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM: suplib-5.8.1-1.src.rpm
Size        : 2308450                          License: Copyright 1996-2003 John D. Polstra. All rights reserved.
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : dragisha at m3w.org
URL         : http://www.cvsup.org
Summary     : CVSup support library
Description :
CVSup support library

In RPM spec file we can put nice info for group, once we have package
grouping sorted out.

> cvsup had something strange about it but I think we removed its
> strangeness.
> Like, it could never be shipped.

:) It is not strange, it only has it's own libraries. It's until we sort
"standard" packages out and learn it's normal to have fancy hierarchy of
libraries and modules in out projects as we have in cm3.

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>