[M3devel] "SYSTEM_LIBS contains X11"?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 29 05:40:35 CET 2009

I kind of think the original authors had in mind:

   if SYSTEM_LIBS contains "X11"

as a useful construct..but I'm not sure..and no matter their intentions,

it seems at first promising but then actually inadequate, and that maybe

we need something to replace what it seems to promise.

IN PARTICULAR:

If something is directly dependent on X11, then it seems reasonable

to do m3makefile:

if SYSTEM_LIBS contains "X11"

..everything..

library("foo")

end

but then it seems to me that clients of library("foo") shouldn't

know or care that foo depends on X11.

It seems like you maybe should be able to do like:

if SYSTEM_LIBS contains "X11"

..everything..

library("foo")

else

no_library("foo") % or something

end

and then when I have:

import("foo")

library("fooclient")

I should probably just a warning like:

"not building fooclient because foo is explicitly not available"

"explicitly not available" as opposed to "seems to just be missing,

perhaps you forgot to build it first?"

In particular, "no_library" would need to be "active" and leave a mark of some sort.

?

In the meantime I'm considering some special case thing, like

configfile:

  HAS_GUI = TRUE

or

  HAS_TRESTLE = TRUE