[M3devel] Juno on NT (presumably canary for other problems)

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Fri Sep 4 22:21:47 CEST 2009

Jay:

Yeah I see the Juno window start up on most runs, but then it crashes so quickly that you can't see much before the window disappears.

I use formsedit quite a bit.  I recall that back when we purchased Reactor/cm3 v4.1, that Farshad and company had to make some patches to formsedit because it crashed on certain platforms.  Critical Mass provided us with the patched executables, but I never got the sources.  Not sure if the patches got put into what we have now.

There are some problems now with formsedit that I've documented in the past.  One of the big ones has to deal with keeping the cursor placement in sync between what is shown on the display and what the program actually thinks, particularly when switching between mouse and keyboard movement.

Similarly, I know that Reactor was a work in progress.  Although I worked with Farshad to obtain the sources for the open source release as CM3IDE, I'm not confident that all the latest greatest sources actually made it to me in the version Farshad supplied.  He had to dig back through some archives to obtain them.  I've noticed some operational differences between my old "Reactor" and the new "CM3IDE".

Monday is a holiday for me, so I'll try to devote some time this long weekend on running more tests.  If you want me to run stuff on HP-UX, I'll have to pull the machine "out-of-moth-balls" so to speak because its been a long time since I've used it.  I think I still have three HP-UX machines.  One of them had a hard drive problem with one of its SCSI drives so that may take some to repair.  I'll also try to look at some of the scripts ya'll are using for the automated tests and see if there is a way I can run some of these tests on XP and Vista (unless ya'll already have that covered on a VM for Hudson--let me know if I don't need to do this).

Regards,
Randy

>>> Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu> 9/4/2009 3:44 PM >>>
Randy, thanks, understood. Actually Juno does draw a bunch of fancy stuff before the assertion failure. And formsedit at least historically works, and I thought mentor but I'll have to retest after Tony fixes, and with old versions. Yes please test anything you can. I can get you an HP-UX toolset if you need..assumiing I can resolve why last I powered the machine on I couldn't see it on the network. At some point we might even get HP-UX in Hudson. :)

 - Jay