[M3devel] hidden interface vs. public Interface? hidden isn't hidden?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Apr 14 13:01:26 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> I tried changing from Interface("Utime") to interface("Utime").
>
>     Now, it turns out, that is a mistake anyway, there are still
> uses, and they aren't going away.
>
> But even so, this change doesn't do what it is supposed to.
> Utime gets marked "hidden" in the .M3EXPORTS files.
> I haven't yet decipered the .m3x file.
> I'm still able to build clients e.g. m3-games/tetris.
>  I'm certain I'm using the updated one. I even rm -rf /cm3/pkg/m3core.
>
> It seems "hidden" doesn't work?
>
> I'll have to dig into the .m3x file I think.

I remember that in the SRC system, hidden files weren't shipped at all
to the global package pool. Critical Mass changed that, because hey
wanted the source to be available for browsing.

I always assumed that the compiler was able to hnour the hidden state
of the interface nonetheless.

If it doesn't work, we should fix it.

Olaf