[M3devel] INTEGER

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 19 08:54:09 CEST 2010

I believe the 128bit and 256bit types are implemented with compiler extensions but not language extensions.

They declare records and "functions", but the compilers implement the "functions" inline (roughly one instruction each).

This is akin to interface Word and generic interface Atomic.

  They are "just" libraries from a language point of view, but the compiler knows about them and inlines them.

Well, at least the "packed" types.

There are larger "scalar" types coming? That support infix operators?

Again, so far as we have all figured out (I'm guessing and building on a hint Mika provided), it is mostly just about literals and infix notation. And if that is the case, it really shows that a language ought to be a bit more flexible in the first place (user defined infix operators on user defined types), and then it won't need as much extending later on.

Nobody really prefers "Word.Plus(a, b)" over "a + b"...

 - Jay