[M3devel] INTEGER

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Apr 19 17:57:02 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:59:01PM -0700, Mika Nystrom wrote:

> And the new m3tk, stubgen, and compiler(?) won't compile using PM3 or
> SRC M3 since we're no longer using the language of the Green Book.
> (Same comment goes for WIDECHAR, by the way.)

When I use Unicode characters, I find myself defining them to be
INTEGERs, because I'm always worried that WIDECHARs might be omly 16 bits.

Strings of WIDECHARS are probably unnecesary.  The last program I wrote
that used Unicode used INTEGERs for characters, and arrays of INTEGERS
for strings.  But I think it was a mistake to do it this way, and when I
have time I'll rewrite it.  UTF-8 seems to be the way to go; strings of
Unicode can easily be manipulated as ordinary TEXT.  In fact, I
think there are few if any places in my code where I would have had to
do anything special whatsoever if I had just used UTF8 in TEXT.  The
program would simply become simpler.

-- hendrik