[M3devel] fs_rmrec

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 14 00:59:02 CEST 2010

Olaf, to be sure/clear -- fs_rmrec works now, right?

The original and long-term problem was that deleting, or even, enumerating, stale symlinks
would fail. There *may* have been a problem around keeping multiple DIRs open at a time
and/or deleting while enumerating. My addressing the later concerns, and using fs_rmrec
in m3-sys/m3cc, both exacerbated the problem due to the ordering of enumeration and deletion
and the layout of m3-sys/m3cc.

In either case, I believe it works now, right?

Understood that old cm3 remains broken, and intermediate cm3 remains sort of worse.

What I mean by all these "sort ofs" is that we used to enumerate and delete "at the same time".
Which made it somewhat indeterminate if the symlink or its target was deleted first.
I changed the code to delete files, and then directories.
Given a symlink like "bar/foo => ../foo", ./foo would be guaranteeably deleted ahead
of the symlink pointing to it.

 - Jay