[M3devel] conversion to another version control system

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Aug 27 19:35:02 CEST 2010

I was tinkering with a copy of the Modula 3 cvs repository I had made
a few months ago using cvsup, seeing of cvs2git would make me a proper
git-fast-import file.  It complained that what I provided wasn't a valid
CVS repository:

ERROR: the path '/farhome/hendrik/newcm3/trywholecvs/cvs' is not a CVS
repository, nor a path within a CVS repository.  A CVS repository
contains a CVSROOT directory within its root directory.

Now I looked around, and couldn't find a CVSROOT directory anywhere
except in /usr/lib/cvs, which is probably irrelevant.

Is this a problem with cvs2git, a problem with the repository, or a
problem with cvsup, or a problem with the way I used cvsup to copy the
repository?  Or would any regular cvs user know just exactly what to do?

By the way, the recent problems mentioned on this list about cvsup
have made me afraid to use it again.  Are those problems restricted to a
few platforms, or widespread?

-- hendrik