[M3devel] Hudson setup and M3 repository, was: Re: VM for I386_NETBSD Hudson

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Aug 20 16:15:36 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> New Hudson node.
> A VM running on MacBook.
>   We'll see if it stays on and if the network works.

For your information

It seems we have crossed the acceptable load boundary for our hosted
server birch.elegosoft.com recently. The main problem seems to be
I/O caused by lots of concurrent CVS checkouts and updates in combination
with internal backup, which make other services like HTTP unresponsive and
unusable.

As far as I can see there is no easy short-time solution. We are going
to find a new and more efficient home for our web services anyway in the
fall, but it may be that we will have to limit the number of concurrent
CVS accesses or Hudson job executions (including clients) for some time.

I'm currently also investigating if we can easily move to another
(virtual) host or setup a proxy to improve matters. Both will need
some migration on client sides.

I'll keep you informed what way we choose to resolve this problem.

It will help if you don't check in lots of small changes, but complete
reasonable change sets.

It would also help if we could reduce the size of the repository again,
especially in the gcc and gdb structures. If there is dead content
that we don't really need, we might move it to another access path for
some time.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Please stay calm and continue to enjoy the flight ;-)

Olaf