[M3devel] Hudson setup and M3 repository, was: Re: VM for I386_NETBSD Hudson

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 21 09:38:29 CEST 2010

All the more reason to use anything besides CVS?

What about checkout vs. update?
  Is update a problem or just checkout?
  We don't do many checkouts, right?

Can/should the pollling interval be changed, like to every hour?
And can machines poll at different times, say at a minute within the hour that is a hash of their hostname?

Or more aggressive, have some machines only poll a few times a day, once or twice?
Only more mainstream machines poll more frequently?
I can always run "build now" if I'm eager for a particular build.

Repository size is a tough one.
Even if I remove files, the repository size is unchanged, right?
We have 3 copies of gcc in semi-active use right now.
 There are others in the repository.
But gcc-apple really isn't active -- it is for ARM_DARWIN.
Can the Hudson jobs easily exclude that?

Between gcc and gcc-4.5 we are stuck for now.
gcc-4.5 works a lot and also definitely fails some.
In particular SPARC32_SOLARIS/SOLgnu/SOLsun fail right after throwing an exception.
SPARC64_SOLARIS has at least a small problem.
I'm not sure if there are problems beyond those.

Certainly if you want to "cherry pick" off a few files here and there, there is definitely opportunity.
I'm not sure if a few files here and there matter though.

m3-pkgtools presently isn't built for example.
dll2lib or whatever isn't worth anything these days.

The old m3gc-simple and m3gc-enhanced are dead.

I like a source control to preserve record of deleted stuff though.

 - Jay