[M3devel] Hudson setup and M3 repository, was: Re: VM for I386_NETBSD Hudson

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Aug 21 11:24:43 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> All the more reason to use anything besides CVS?

I'd doubt that other system will improve this situation much.
But I don't know. Peter Eiserloh is currently trying out git.

> What about checkout vs. update?
>   Is update a problem or just checkout?
>   We don't do many checkouts, right?

We're doing mostly updates. But they should generate the same
i/o load.

> Can/should the pollling interval be changed, like to every hour?
> And can machines poll at different times, say at a minute within the
>  hour that is a hash of their hostname?

I've already increased the polling interval on several jobs, but
may increase still more.

> Or more aggressive, have some machines only poll a few times a day,
> once or twice?

Well yes, we could just poll locally on birch and start the other
jobs on completion. I think I'll do that; I'll probably disable all
the polling first by script and then add some dependencies.

> Only more mainstream machines poll more frequently?
> I can always run "build now" if I'm eager for a particular build.

Yes.

> Repository size is a tough one.
> Even if I remove files, the repository size is unchanged, right?

I meant we could move a complete sub-tree to another location for some
time if it's not needed. There are several versions of gcc IIRC.
If we need all of them for at least one target, we cannot do that.

> We have 3 copies of gcc in semi-active use right now.
>  There are others in the repository.
> But gcc-apple really isn't active -- it is for ARM_DARWIN.
> Can the Hudson jobs easily exclude that?

We can add that where possible, too.

> Between gcc and gcc-4.5 we are stuck for now.
> gcc-4.5 works a lot and also definitely fails some.
> In particular SPARC32_SOLARIS/SOLgnu/SOLsun fail right after
> throwing an exception.
> SPARC64_SOLARIS has at least a small problem.
> I'm not sure if there are problems beyond those.
>
> Certainly if you want to "cherry pick" off a few files here and
> there, there is definitely opportunity.
> I'm not sure if a few files here and there matter though.

Not worth the trouble.

> m3-pkgtools presently isn't built for example.
> dll2lib or whatever isn't worth anything these days.

It's just the gcc and gdb code that's so large.

> The old m3gc-simple and m3gc-enhanced are dead.

Also not worth to remove.

> I like a source control to preserve record of deleted stuff though.

I'm not going to delete anything then.
Let's try the polling strategy change first.

Olaf