[M3devel] main in C or not?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Aug 23 13:57:01 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> There has long been a configuration variable: MAIN_IN_C.
>
> I propose that main always be in C. I made that so already, a small change.
>
> I further propose that the support for main to not be in C be removed.
>
> "Not in C" is "generating it via the backend", directly an .obj for NT386, or
> going through the gcc backend for Posix.
>
> Furthermore, I'll cleanup the C to be more typesafe by using ANSI C.
>
> I have this change about ready.
>
> I don't think avoiding C is valuable and I'd rather have fewer
> configuration variables.
> Pick one approach that works reasonably always.

This requires that every user must have a C compiler in addition to
cm3. I thought the default was not to generate C, and just require
a C compiler for special runtime support.

I'm not sure if this really a valid argument for the systems we support
though, as we also need a system linker, and that is probably bundled with
the C compiler in a development package.

Olaf