[M3devel] main in C or not?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 24 06:50:38 CEST 2010

 >> [Jay] I'm *really* interested in a C-generating backend, which will subsume this.
 > [Tony How will source-level debugging work in this instance?

 #line directiives should be used.
 stock gdb will have very good type information where today it has virtually none.
    Besides the other debuggers like windbg/VisualStudio.
 Expressions would be in C perhaps.
 You could still hack on m3gdb if you really want, but it seems of reduced utility.

Compilation would likely be slower.

It might be a few steps backwards besides a few steps forward.
I find the lure of portability and possibly much improved exception handling (where
applicable in C, else in C++), and source distribution,
a very high benefit and worth some tradeoff.
We'd also lose the GPL, which would please some people.