[M3devel] conversion to another version control system

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Aug 27 21:38:37 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 08:55:55PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting Tony Hosking <hosking at cs.purdue.edu>:
>
>> cvs checkout gives you a checked out working directory not a repository.
>> You'd need to *copy* the repository hierarchy verbatim.
>
> The CM3 repository is on birch.elegosoft.com:/usr/cvs
> It contains CVSROOT and cm3 as CVS modules.
> CVSROOT contains metainformation about the versions. You'll
> probably need it for git conversion.
>
> You can get the whole repository via cvsup, rsync or scp. The last
> two require an ssh account on birch.
>
> Olaf
>
> PS: I did mention that Peter Eiserloh is also working on a git
>     conversion of our history?

No.  From discussions half a year ago or longer, I thought that monotone
was the preferred solution.  Git is easier, I suppose, because no one
has to write anything to feed git-fast-import into monotone.  And
a git-fast-import file would probably be the first step to get it into
monotone anyway, since the direct cvs import I tried into monotone
failed one of monotone's internal sanity checks.

Perhaps this means I don't have to do the cvs2mtn stuff any more.  Not
for Modula 3, anyway.  Though git2mtn might still be useful for others.

-- hendrik