[M3devel] conversion to another version control system

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 28 00:15:42 CEST 2010

 > I thought that monotone  was the preferred solutionMy "ressearch" (not really worth calling it that), suggests the following are good
options, roughly in this order:

 perforce ("p4")
 mercurial ("hg")
 git
 monotone ("mtn")
 subversion ("svn")

 subversion doesn't do branching right, but for us it probably is good enough.
 Perforce is my favorite by far. I know very well how to use it and it works very well.
 I just could never find a hoster for it.

 svn's familiar centralized model might put it up at #2 after p4.
 hg is said to be easier to use and understand than git.
 hg and git seems to be the running favorites of the distributed systems.
 mtn was rejected by Linus because it was too slow. It is better now and
   probably ok.
svn doesn't do branching right and isn't distibuted, but as I said, maybe #2.

It also pays to use the heavily used systems. They become the most
reliable. (Modula-3 not necessarily a counterexcample...)