[M3devel] CM3 services and Elego support, was: Re: conversion to another version control system

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sun Aug 29 13:15:44 CEST 2010

Quoting Darko <darko at darko.org>:

> I sort of meant software support. But isn't this all academic since
> Elego is a CVS shop and they host the project?

No. Elego is no CVS shop. We're not a shop at all in the sense
that you can buy anything from our shelves. We help other companies
improve their development processes wrt. software configuration
management. Actually, almost all our work in the recent 2 yours
has been Subversion-related. For more information of what we do,
have a look at our web pages at http://www.elegosoft.com/.

We used CVS for M3 at the start because it was the only reasonable
possibility several years ago.

I always opposed a switch of the system because it will bind a lot
of resources we could use better, e.g. for improving the debugging
support, IPv6 support, writing a C backend, etc. And we don't
really need more than CVS offers.

I still doubt that somebody will do all the work to set up a new
version control infrastructure with easy migration, Hudson and trac
integration, etc. If anybody sets up something that works better
than what we have, we will of course use it.

Elego will continue to provide some resources for the M3 project
in form of CPU time, disk space and administration support if the
community wants that. And we'll provide git or mercurial or svn
access for M3 if it is needed. Actually, svn should be rather easy.

We currently have some overload problems with the server that hosts
CVS and the M3 continuous integration, which led me to reduce the
number of checkouts and builds. This will be sorted out during
the fall. Unfortunately, we don't have hard data about i/o needs
of other systems compared to CVS yet (but we'll get them).

BTW, CI is working quite well now, and produces nightly snapshots
that can be downloaded for almost all supported platforms, so this
is better than ever before. See

   http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/view/cm3-current/

for details.

Olaf