[M3devel] CM3 services and Elego support, was: Re: conversion to another version control system

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 29 14:02:01 CEST 2010

 > We're not a shop at all in the sense that you can buy anything from our shelves

"Shop" has a different meaning in this context.
English is wierd.

Roughly speaking "an X shop" is a "company that tends to use product X or products from company X, not necessarily to the exclusion of others"
"a Microsoft shop"
"a Java shop"
"a Unix shop"
"an Oracle shop"
"a .NET shop"

 > And we don't really need more than CVS offers.

A few things bug me.
The number one is that there are no change lists, just multiple independent changes to independent files.
I want to be able to browse history as a list of changes, and click on them, not navigate to each file individually.
I would also like a system that keeps enough local state so that I can diff my local version against current
without going to the slow unreliable network. The network is indeed very slow and unreliable.

Perforce seems ideal in so many ways. Its command line interface is excellent.
Its gui is very good.
Its feature set is excellent.
Its branching support is excellent.
I don't know if it has good offline support though.

I think I would settle for SVN.
Though SVN has completely broken branching last I checked, and they acknowledged it.
SVN also has relatively large dependencies to build from source.

I would also like a system that doesn't drop files/directories all over the place. Just in the root of a checkout should
suffice and be ideal. CVS is awful here and I believe SVN is too.

Perforce maybe doesn't have the portability I'd like -- e.g. I don't see OpenBSD.
But that might be an ok compromise, if copying can be done, or if those platforms can be requested.
It seems they are extremely extremely portable but just don't bother to provide the binaries.
Through time they do have excellent platform coverage.
I'm sure we don't go for this, but I do recommend it wholeheartedly.

I want a system that makes me do *something* before editing a file.
  Run some command to acknowledge I'm editing it, so it can keep track.
I want a systerm with a command to undo the edits. With CVS I delete and update. Lame.
I want a system that quickly knows which files I have changed.
Perforce meets all these requirements.

When I'm lazy I do:
  p4 edit ...
  spend a while editing
  p4 revert -a  to revert anything I didn't actually change
  It is wasteful, but plenty fast.

I'd prefer a system that knows how to use windiff or some other decent gui to show diffs.
I've gradually become comfortable with textual diffs.
But I like gui diffs. Windiff is nice. Some people think it is old and limited, but it is
much better than textual diffs.

CVS handling of merges and conflicts is also very poor.