[M3devel] More testing needed for m3back, was: RE: m3back/longint/atomics

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Feb 18 17:20:56 CET 2010

Quoting "Coleburn, Randy" <rcolebur at SCIRES.COM>:

> I can certainly run some tests on Windows.
>
> I don't have any code that uses longint, so either someone needs to
> identify which existing programs I can build and run to do the
> tests, OR I suppose I can write something if you can give me an idea
>  of how extensive the tests you want.

This sounds good!

Some things that come to mind for LONGINT immeditately:

  o standard integer arithmetic (+, -, *, DIV, MOD) at runtime,
    with and without overflows etc.
  o constant declarations
  o constant expressions
  o assignability (should be rather strict; I'd have to check the mail
    archive for the details)
  o pickles

It would be great if you could add some tests to m3tests that are
valid on all platforms. I expect that some should already be in place,
but haven't checked yet...

Hm, a quick search for longint in

   http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-test-m3tests-FreeBSD4/

for example doesn't find anything. Has nobody added any LONGINT
test yet? Probably I'm looking for the wrong string...

A complete regression with cm3 and other programs you may have available
would be great, too, just to make sure that the backend changes
don't break any old functionality.

Olaf