[M3devel] latest longint file size diffs

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Jan 8 12:32:24 CET 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Attached is my latest work here.
> With the compiler changes (in the diff), I was able to
> elminate most uses of VAL(expr, LONGINT).
> There's something slightly off such that I had
> to add a very small number, like two.
>
> The compiler change is newer than earlier.
>
> For example you can now assign CARDINAL to LONGINT.
>
> I didn't do it, but you should also be able to add/subtract/etc.
>
> mixing CARDINAL and LONGINT.
>
> FOR statements also don't allow the level of mixing
> that they should.
>
> I'm hoping to get agreement soon just from the diffs
> but if necessary I'll look how to create a branch.
>
> My general worry about branches is developers just
> go off on their own in a branch and it's impossible to
> get anyone to look at it, they are busy enough with one branch,
> let alone multiple..

I think in this case it makes sense, as we need to run full regression
tests on all target platforms IMO.

You just should mark the start of the branch with

   cvs tag branch_feature_longint_offset_start

then create the branch tag itself

   cvs tag -b branch_feature_longint_offset

update your workspace to that branch

   cvs up -r branch_feature_longint_offset

and finally commit the changes

   cvs commit

This all assumes you've started on a fairly recent trunk and
there are no conflicts.

Olaf