[M3devel] Modernising m3-ui?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 22 13:05:10 CET 2010

 > Linux desktop successful

Haha. Military intelligence.

 > it's diversity of possible solutions.

Chaos! Lack of interop. Duplicated effort.

Granted, Darwinism/Capitalism, but very wasteful.

 > Main problem with diversity of solutions is multi-platform nature of
 > Modula-3 - solutions not multi-platform are not likely to be accepted...

I'm sure we can win here, if we do anything.

  (I'm not volunteering. The idea of using Swig is good.)

Just wrap Qt or FLTK or Tk or wxWidgets or such.

Qt is my preferred.

  It seems to have the most active resources spent on it and

  is in the best condition already.

GTk on Windows doesn't seem to get enough attention.

Tk has a seemingly good track record in that

 people have successfully used it already from several

 languages: Python, Perl, Tcl (blech!), C.

wxWidgets also has Python bindings at least.

Things only get less clear if you worry about non Win32/64/XWindows

platforms, like OS/2, Mac9, non-X Mac, Carbon/Cocoa, Win16, MS-DOS (framebuffer+mouse+keyboard), etc.

And Trestle doesn't support any of those anyway, and they are all

"obsolete" except non-X Mac (see also: iPhone!)

I'm surprised I haven't see that Qt supports iPhone.

If a library does support Carbon/Cocoa that is a point in favor imho.

 - Jay