[M3devel] Modernising m3-ui?

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Thu Jan 21 23:27:12 CET 2010

Modernizing of GUI is not so big a problem - lots of C(++) libraries
around.... And after wrapping _LOTS OF_ C libraries I can tell one thing
- there's nothing like a manual touch! And I've wrapped pthreads, mysql,
sqlite, gtk, gtk2, zip, bzip2, zaptel, libpri .....and many more.

Modula-3 philosophy (at least it looks to me sometimes) is to think
about Modula-3 legacy libraries/project like it's something carved in
stone... To be kosher we must use right (legacy of course and
all-platforms of coursier :)) libraries for every job.... Nice idea, esp
when we whink longer term maintenance... But what made projects like,
for example, Linux desktop successful is not single solution path - it's
diversity of possible solutions.

Main problem with diversity of solutions is multi-platform nature of
Modula-3 - solutions not multi-platform are not likely to be accepted...
And while it's relatively easy to wrte your Modula-3 code multiplatfom,
taking care of C(++) libraries can be real pain....

Thus said - I can tell you one thing - JUST DO IT :). I don't see a
problem if my projects work only on Linux - once I have incentive to go
through a hassle to make it work on Windows, I'll synchronize. But it's
important to to many things with Modula-3 - more will come a lot easier.

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>