[M3devel] moving to new target names, in Hudson?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Jul 18 14:00:05 CEST 2010

Olaf, can I request that if/when you move Hudson to head, that you also switch to I386_LINUX, I386_FREEBSD, I386_NT,
and whatever we decide for SPARC32_SOLARIS?
I've mostly switched to them myself. It wasn't difficult. (I always say that).

I think for SPARC32_SOLARIS we should either have SPARC32_SOLARIS that is the equivalent of today's SOLsun.
Effectively dropping SOLgnu.

Or we also add SPARC32_SOLARIS_gcc, which is just a configuration file and not a target.
This is like the "experiment" I did with NT386/NT386GNU, which I think I regret, except
SPARC32_SOLARIS / SPARC32_SOLAROS_gcc are far far more similar than those.
All their platform-specific code is identical. Their backend is identical. etc.

A related option is SPARC32_SOLARIS_cc or SPARC32_SOLARIS_suncc, and SPARC32_SOLARIS_gcc.
Config files.
But the compiler only know about SPARC32_SOLARIS.
Just putting the two config files more as peers, so to speak.

The way I switched targets was probably doing a cross build.
That is overkill. You can probably just export CM3_TARGET to the name you want.
And maybe fiddle with shipping of cm3cg or settings its build_dir -- i.e. leave it as just host and host-target.

Thanks,