[M3devel] moving to new target names, in Hudson?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 19 12:48:38 CEST 2010

The old target names are still available.

I agree something like cm3 -version should be more useful.
Notice:
  gcc -dumpmachine

gcc -dumpspecs

gcc -dumpversion

gcc -print-search-dirs

*However* notice that cm3 is *not* preconfigured/predisposed for any particular target.

It has a list of targets and it can handle any of them. The config file decides the target.
 In fact, neither cm3 nor the config files are particularly knowledable about targets.
  The config files vary a little in how they run the compiler or linker.
  cm3 varies mainly in word size, endianness, and jmpbuf size.
  All the real work of knowing about targets is buried in gcc.
  And a smattering of #ifdefs in C code. Some of which could be pushed to autoconf.

The old names confuse people -- you, for example.
They are inconsistent.
They don't specify processor architecture.

What pain did you all go through when FreeBSD changed to FreeBSD2 changed to FreeBSD3 changed to FreeBSD4?
Or LINUX to LINUXELF to LINUXLIBC6?
So long ago nobody remembers?
I used LINUXELF a little, built it, went away, came back and there was LINUXLIBC6. I had no code. It didn't matter to me.