[M3devel] merging gdb from 6.4 to 7.1?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 21 04:58:47 CEST 2010

Thanks. To be clear then, my initial merge will likely lose some changes,
it sounds like you are ok with that, and they can be redone soon thereafter by someone else (e.g. you).
I'll be sure it builds and do a minimum of debugging with it.
  I'll expect it to understand some Modula-3 syntax and esp. decode types.
   When I use gdb everything is void* so there should be obvious improvement
   with m3gdb.
I'm not sure what the best way to "help" is. I'm not super keen on "sharing diffs" or using branches. Therefore, come up with something reasonable maybe slightly flawed, commit it, someone else can improve it afterward, as long as the initial one isn't too flawed? ok?

ok?

There is some use of $revision$ and $id$ in there and it makes things slightly messy.
There are files we didn't change, but which show as changed because of them.
Mostly deleted stuff like hpread.c and the rdi-shared directory.
Or we added comments in dwarfread.c which was deleted.

I agree -gstabs might not be best.
  It isn't supported on e.g. HP64_HPUX.
But often whenever I try other options like -g or -gcoff or -ggdb or -gdwarf,
I get crashes in the backend so I leave the config files with -gstabs+. :(

I don't think it matters too much what I merge up to, as long as it is >6.4.
7.1 is out. I didn't see 7.2.

Thanks,
 - Jay