[M3devel] The various hudson tasks

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Jul 28 16:49:21 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Olaf, it is a bit odd that there are "m3cc" tasks and "other", but
> yet "other" does build m3cc.
> e.g.:
>
> http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-build-SPARC32_LINUX/35/console
>
> I seem to always be confused by what the tasks are. :(

There is such a thing as a "standard CM3 system build and if necessary
upgrade".
This is included in the (1) cm3-current-build-* jobs for the CVS trunk.

The build of the gcc backend has been extracted from that task, as
it is based on different and differently licensed sources and takes
quite a long time compared to M3 builds.

The gcc backend builds are contained in the (2) cm3-current-m3cc-* jobs.
The result of this job is used by other build jobs if available.

There are two classes of test jobs:

  (3) cm3-current-test-m3tests-* just runs the m3tests package tests
      for the compiler.

  (4) cm3-current-test-all-pkgs-* is like a "build world"; i.e. it
      compiles all packages, compiles all associated test packages,
      and runs all associated tests if available.

Apart from those there are groups of jobs for building distribution
archives and for downloading and testing those.

Any suggestions for a better setup are welcome.
The existing setup has worked reasonably well in the past though.

If anybody wants to play with the Hudson job and try something new,
he is welcome if he promises not to bring down the existing Hudson
tasks and other services. Hudson can be completely controlled via
the HTTP GUI.

Olaf