[M3devel] The various hudson tasks

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 28 17:32:23 CEST 2010

m3cc is both in its own task and in the cm3 task.
I don't understand why it is in both.
This also causes the sources to be duplicated more.

Given proper incrementality, the split shouldn't be needed. ?
But ok.
Splitting might resemble the future distribution form as well -- ie, one that is more like the old DEC SRC one.
And I'm sure there are incrementality bugs, e.g. like when files are added/deleted/moved.
  Every time I've moved a file it has caused problems.

I kind of think it should always "upgrade" for some definition of that.
Always start with cm3/cm3cg/m3core/config files, and I guess libm3.
Build up to cm3, skipping cm3cg, m3core, libm3.
Copy/install cm3.
Build cm3cg incrementally
Clean everything but cm3cg. Too expensive?
Build m3core up to cm3.
Copy/install cm3.
clean everything but cm3cg. Too expensive?
Build everything.

I can see that might be too expensive though.
On the other hand, if the compiler changes, you really need to buid everything clean.
As I assume incrementality doesn't take into account the compiler's timestamp, and if it did, it'd all be clean anyway.

But I'm not keen on changing this stuff.
It seems kind of difficult and very time consuming to get working, and extremely nice to have in almost any working form.

Thanks,