[M3devel] OS for CM3

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Jun 1 11:03:01 CEST 2010

Quoting Mika Nystrom <mika at async.async.caltech.edu>:

> Hi Modula-3ers,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on what OS to install on a new PC compute
> server with 16 to 24 cores and 16 to 32 GB of RAM?  The code I'm going
> to be running is all written in Modula-3 with some C and Fortran thrown
> in and I want to use CM3.  The odd extra thing in Java and some analysis
> in R.  Currently I'm stuck with PM3 on FreeBSD/i386.
>
> I've always liked the ease of administration (i.e., I'm an old dog and I
> don't have to learn anything new) of FreeBSD, but the threading support
> seems much better with Linux?  I do really want to run multi-threaded
> programs across several CPUs.
>
> I am considering Debian/amd64.  Any other recommendations, experiences?

Do you have simple test programs we could use to regularly measure
the performance of multithreading on different target platforms?

FreeBSD should support scaling via threads, but I've no idea about
actual performance yet.

I've been using FreeBSD/amd64 for about half a year now at home
(due to sudden death of my old hardware) and it's running OK,
except for the occasional suprise after a source upgrade ;-)

I second your feeling of dismay about loss of traditional system
administration conventions... no time to keep up-to-date with
everything.

Olaf