[M3devel] m3cg_pop checks for side effects on the wrong thing

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 1 13:16:16 CEST 2010

Tony, I started looking at the effect of fixing the m3cg_pop "bug", where it checks for tree_side_effects on the wrong thing.
  You know -- is it significant? Should it be fixed in release?
In every case I looked at, optimized and not, all the fix did was add unnecessary code.
So I took another step: I tried removing the add_stmt there all together.
I built m3core before and after that, optimized and not.
Again, the code appears to be equivalent either way, just that add_stmt adds unnecessary code.

I'm going to try building the compiler and the rest of the system with this change.
If that works, I think this is an ok change.
  And we can rest easy about release.