[M3devel] CHAR vs. Ctypes.char?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 24 04:24:47 CEST 2010

ADR should be "less unsafe".
Perhaps in general Modula-3 "unsafe" can/should be "less unsafe".
e.g. "Only as unsafe as needed to get the 'usual' job done, and no more".

Imagine if the types involved actually changed in some other way.
LOOPHOLE would likely make almost anything compile.
Whereas my other suggestions add a significant amount of type checking and deliberately fail to compile many incorrect forms.

There is not, or should be, this "harsh" line where there are no rules or static checking in unsafe code.
There is still a significant amount of checking and a significant confidence that if it compiles, it has a certain amount of correctness and "odds" of working. I've written a lot of C code, even recently. It's not just a lost cause.