[M3devel] merits/demerits of cm3ide

Coleburn, Randy rcolebur at SCIRES.COM
Fri Mar 12 10:20:59 CET 2010

Jay as far as editor goes, CM3IDE lets you use the editor of your choice.  Once you define it, CM3IDE calls upon your defined editor when you want to edit a source file.

Note also that when you compile and get errors, CM3IDE annotates the listing and gives hyperlinks to allow you to make edits.  When you click on a line with a syntax error and choose to edit it, CM3IDE calls upon your editor and tells it to position the cursor at that line so you can make the fix easily.

CM3IDE also shows for each interface all modules that import that interface.  This is useful also when you are making an interface change that will break modules, you can quickly find all the ones affected and make the edits.  Granted you can use command line tools for finding stuff in files, but I personally like the hyper linking.

In my environment, I use CM3IDE, the CRiSP programmers editor, and TortoiseCVS.  CRiSP integrates with CVS so you can check files in/out of the repository automatically, all controlled from CM3IDE.

There is no point in arguing further about merits/demerits of CM3IDE.  I didn't write it; I simply worked to make it open-source.  If you don't like it, don't use it.

Regards,
Randy

From: jayk123 at hotmail.com [mailto:jayk123 at hotmail.com] On Behalf Of Jay K
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 1:45 AM
To: Coleburn, Randy; m3devel
Subject: merits/demerits of cm3ide

  > cm3ide
  > more later

Being at the mercy of the rapidly changing web browsers is a very sharp double edged sword.

An IDE with no editor and no debugger..is not an IDE.
Maybe it is a source browser.
Maybe an IDE is not worth it.
  People are very slow to change editors.
  Debuggers are hard to write.
Probably better to try integrating with an actual IDE like VisualStudio or Eclipse.
 Or to have a decent enough language, library, build system, that the language doesn't
need such costly support. Maybe we do have such a think.

Hyperlinking the source is nice, but all I need is "find in files".
I can open the documentation from a file system browser, which
open it in a web browser. I should just be able to use online
documentation anyway, not local stuff.

Having the real compiler output enough information
such that writing other lanugage-aware tools, such
as hyperlinked source generation, is also good.
Too many systems have their IDE write another parser,
and no two parsers agree. However it is a tough problem,
because the compiler's job is different than a source
browser. For example, a compiler must reject incorrect
source, but a source browser should be lenient.

Relying on the browser is a cheap way to get a somewhat
decent somewhat portable very limited gui.
That's about it.

I don't think it is fixable.
It's just pretty much all wierd and wrong.
I was quite shocked the first time I used it, having
heard it described as an IDE.

 - Jay

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). This email may contain confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation. If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from reviewing, copying, using, disclosing or distributing to others the information in this email and attachments. If you believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts of the email or attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Export or transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require advance export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export or transfer. In addition, technical data may not be exported or transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization. By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.