[M3devel] merits/demerits of cm3ide

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Mar 12 15:17:34 CET 2010

Well, some people have used Reactor/cm3ide and liked it. There have been
several requests for it in recent years.

It's certainly no match for a large IDE framework like Eclipse, but
it's the only GUI for the compiler we have.

As for it not being an IDE, I do not really agree; it should already
integrate compiling, shipping, source viewing, searching, pretty
printing. And it integrates on the level of language elements likes
types, interfaces etc.

We should also be able to integrate a debugger (at least m3gdb); this
has been done to gdb with other GUIs, too.

I'd also like to see an M3 plugin for Eclipse, but nobody seems to
be working on that. I myself am still happy with my XEmacs editor
whenever I actually get to browse or write code ;-)

So just view it as an offer and keep not using it if you don't like
it. There are so many things that need work in the cm3 system that
work won't get short during the next years.

Olaf