[M3devel] bandwith

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Sun Mar 14 02:54:41 CET 2010

Hi all:
I think is an interesting topic, however I disagree with you in the old version mentioned because since then CM3 has evolved a lot in threading, garbage collection and gcc based backend packages, just to name a few.
I however seem to recall some discussions, but unfortunately there wasn't sometimes an ending point (i.e my discussion), however without more participation it really becomes boring at one point I expect to be fully honest I do have fun compiling things but probably the community lacks more understanding of the system itself or of the current issues to work in that which needs to be done. Track system by itself is great but probably we haven't used yet in its full potential and that's the reason I waited for so long to report things that would be useful before in ticket trac system (nor I did have the idea to ask you). Current situation in this matter is going better I think.
Therefore there could be plenty of opportunities of things to work on in a fashionable way if we may.
I don't know but I think the current stability should be the worrisome and the history of this could go back to C interfaces and son on. I haven't asked yet where are the Unix INTERFACE constants and members which are need for packages that before where compiling that use this low-level style like browsers webcard, postcard, Deckscape and Webscape and m3-mail packages and m3-lectern which I could get to compile some time before this Unix changes.
However I know that some bugs they had I expect to be gone because this changes brought many other improvements to overall programming environment.
Besides this, software engineering tools could be made aware of the project like this one done for pm3:
http://libresoft.dat.escet.urjc.es/cvsanal/pm3-cvs/index.php?menu=Index
(the manual of it on http://gsyc.es/~carlosgc/files/cvsanaly.pdf software on http://tools.libresoft.es/cvsanaly?rev=1248394389)
I know there is also a Modula-3 aware re engineering tools it was done by Peter Klien at Aachen University I know there was supossed to be a working prototype at some point available for download
http://pi.informatik.uni-siegen.de/stt/23_3/05_Dissertationen/klein.pdf
This kind of tools could be managed to get integrated with M3clipse plugin work done by Bert Laverman which just lacks semantic analysis, and cm3ide which may bundle cvsup and or dcvs as a way of distributed software configuration management and development environment perhaps with Elego Compact (and don't forget Obliq packages, I remember a Professor told me that it competed at some point with JavaScript to be scripting language for the web. It has even type inference algorithm now so who knows why isn't used in our community, I know I will try to get into it but it needs time; there are some examples in Professor's courses that could help to this, besides other things of M3 system level demo applications too)
Thanks for your comments I hope this helps a bit