[M3devel] new target names -- SOLsun vs. SOLgnu? I386_SOLARIS Sun cc vs. GNU cc?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 6 12:17:43 CEST 2010

I thought I had sent a followup on this:
 https://mail.elegosoft.com/pipermail/m3devel/2010-April/006836.html

Can you suggest precise platform name and precise other decisions?

This is coming up sooner-not-later also for I386_SOLARIS/AMD64_SOLARIS.
The provided machine's readme says we have Solaris 8, 9, 10 machines,
with multiple versions of Sun and GNU compilers.

Do I just declare that we only support Sun compiler?
Anyone who for some reason wants GNU gets to "rewrite" the config file and keep it to himself?
Or we somehow provide Sun and GNU "configurations" and user can pick one?

Do we have I386_SOLARIS_SUNCC and I386_SOLARIS_GNUCC?
or I386_SOLARIS_CC and I386_SOLARIS_GCC?

or I386_SOLARIS_SUN and I386_SOLARIS_GNU?

I wouldn't mind "helping" people and author the gcc support in quake.
  With some plan to move quake into cm3 in future.
But I don't want this to snowball into having to list extra identical platforms everywhere,
as has been the case for SOLsun and SOLgnu.
  Granted, platform-specific code is extremely rare now.

But the "one target, multiple configurations" of NT386/GNU/MINGNU did seem to get too messy/confusing.

 - Jay