[M3devel] program vs. Program

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue May 11 00:17:05 CEST 2010

>>> - never ship "program" -- not runable within the package store
>
> Would be a non-compatible change.

It's already non-compatible imho, except if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used.

>>> - drop in wrapper .sh files that set/append LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
>
> Strange.

I believe this is a practise in the wider world, though not
very common or considered very good.

Actually some things I read say LD_LIBRARY_PATH is meant for
running stuff before install. Just don't abuse it and
use it after install. (it is the old link below though,
I should read more)

> Why not use the correct paths via $ORIGIN? For program they are
> of course different than for Program. Too difficult?

Ah, like ../../lib? To go our of pkg/target and over to lib?
Yeah, that is possible.
I had that in, but such "far up" relative paths worry me.
If the program is moved around to a shallower structure
it could accidentally reach into unrelated stuff.

It is mitigated by using:
  $ORIGIN:$ORIGIN/../lib:$ORIGIN/../../lib

so at least you find closer stuff first.
Maybe we can put just the last element in for program.

> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/_/ldpath.html

This is an old link, mostly predates $ORIGIN,
but does bring up the possibility of
linking or editing paths at install time.

Controversial suggestion: use autoconf/libtool.
It probably handles this stuff already.