[M3devel] OpenCSW build farm access

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed May 12 09:43:35 CEST 2010

> test scripts check for explicit ssh reachability of birch.elegosoft.com

I put that in.
I found the stuff too hard to use and would try to make it easier as I figured it out.

Well.. for now let's just leave Hudson on my machine asis.
  Maybe Tony can provide a machine?

So..a general dilemna is how to give Dago something for him giving us something.
And how much is enough on either side?
Don't want to take and not give back, or whatnot.

I386_SOLARIS, AMD64_SOLARIS are now in good shape.
See http://www.modula3.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/index.html.

System builds itself.
  The whole thing on x86/2.10. Up to opengl on x86/2.9.
    I think I'll just do an existance check on 2.9 and stuff built there will just omit it.

  I haven't tested the X apps yet.

  I haven't tried Sparc32/64 yet on 2.8/2.9, but they could very well work ok.
     2.8 would have a problem with user threads, but I know how to fix it.
     (Dago is ok dropping 2.8 anyway, and user threads also don't really matter).

How much value is there to an occasional manual build, vs. better automation?
  With or without running the tests?
  Like, not hudson?

At some point I'll probably setup Solaris/x86.
  I already have, multiple times, just haven't configured it to my liking and kept it up and running.
  But I'd like to offload some power/heat/environmental-responsibility maybe.
  Maybe trade for other OSes. :)
  Also distribute the responsibility anyway. You don't want it all depending on my network connectivity, even if it was good. :)

I may have another option for Solaris. I'll check.

I can think of somewhat rude suggestions, like:
   Commit access shall be limited unless commiter provides Hudson resources. :)
   Of any sort or non-zero quantity -- don't make things too hard.
   Heck -- surely Linux/x86 is among the easiest for anyone to take. :)
   Then again, I'm not a manager, maybe I shouldn't try to think of ways to motivate people. :)

Also maybe login is usable at least for Solaris 2.10 sparc stuff?
Or is that an abuse?

Thanks,