[M3devel] small note for Solaris 2.9

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 6 13:29:04 CET 2010

fyi, to convert a SOLsun bootstrap to Solaris 2.9:

for a in *s; do perl -pi.bak -e "s/^\s+\.hidden\s+.+$//" $a; done

There are other ways.

Native builds using autoconf and discover if .hidden works or not.
Cross builds have to make an assumption and we err toward Solaris 2.10.
We could err toward 2.9.
We could adapt automatically at the "end" of "bootstrap".
If we don't get a C/C++ backend, distributing as assembly-source
and improving how that is built will be in order.
e.g. err toward 2.9 and ship assembly source for "everything"
e.g. err toward 2.9 but do this replacement if the probed assembler supports .hidden

e.g. err toward 2.9 but only ship assembly for cm3, build everything else native from there.
or just ignore it and nobody will notice.