[M3devel] quake rm_rec/instrumentation?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Nov 6 10:41:34 CET 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Is rm_rec known to work/fail?
>
> You can see it is still instrumented and seems to be working:
>
> http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-m3cc-SOLsun-opencsw-current10s/181/console

I haven't noticed any problems with rmrec recently, but then I haven't
monitored the cm3 regression very carefully. I seem to remember that
problems faced in m3tests and we introduced a workaround there.
Perhaps we could disable that and see what happens.

> Refresher:
>   the main problem was likely to do with symlinks and stat
>   the fix is hacky, deep in m3core/libm3, I changed stat to first
> stat and if that fails, lstat
>     (maybe should only lstat upon particular erors)
>  Otherwise deleting a symlink to a nonexistant file/directory failed.
>
>  I also changed it to not delete while enumerating, but that
> probably was ok either way.
>  I also changed it to stat much less (caveat that the "real fix"
> involves more calls sometimes).

That all sounds OK. You could simply make the debug code depend on
the -trace or -debug option of cm3 to be prepared for the next
failure ;-)

Olaf