[M3devel] hudson/m3cg ir changes

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Nov 10 16:22:31 CET 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Looking into why the m3cg.i3 changes broke...
>
> http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-build-FreeBSD4/113/consoleFull
>
> This log doesn't show the "safe" upgrade that avoids ship and then
> ships all at once process.
>
> But it does show something else that should work:
>  it builds all
>  and then ships all (including cm3cg)
>  and then presumably would handle cm3 specially
>
> However when it goes to ship cm3, it compiles stuff. That should
> already be compiled.
> And cm3cg had just been updated.
>
> Here:
>
> === package m3-sys/cm3 ===
>  +++ cm3 -build
> -DROOT='/pub/users/hudson/workspace/cm3-current-build-FreeBSD4/cm3'
> $RARGS  && cm3 -ship $RARGS
> -DROOT='/pub/users/hudson/workspace/cm3-current-build-FreeBSD4/cm3'
>  +++
> ../FreeBSD4/Version.i3:1:0: fatal error:  *** illegal type: 0x17, at
>  m3cg_lineno 4
> compilation terminated.
>   m3_backend => 1
>
> This I don't understand.
> And can't trivially reproduce.
> I understand that every time you build cm3, it will recompile
> Version.i3 and another file.
> But 1) this tries to recompile more and 2) for me, cm3 -ship never
> recompiles anything anyway

What you probably see is that a set of packages is first built locally
and then with buildship. You cannot just use ship on a locally compiled
set (with overrides), because the compiler will refuse to do that as
the dependencies have changed.

> Also notice that LINUXLIBC6 never broke.
> Hm. Given the break Oct 27 and what I might have done to fix, that's
>  inconclusive.
> You can see LINUXLIBC6 also compiling during -ship.

This is strange.

> So, two things now... change the process to use upgrade.sh.
> and/or find out why -ship is compiling anything.

If upgrade.sh already works OK, how could the last-ok installations
on the Hudson nodes become corrupted? Ideally, the cm3-current-build
job should fail and retry everything with upgrade.sh. Probably the
new incompatible cm3cg has already been installed then in current, and
we would need to restart with last-ok. Could that be the problem?
Then it should be easy to fix (in scripts/regression/defs.sh in
test_build_system).

Olaf