[M3devel] Hudson vs. ..?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sun Nov 21 01:02:20 CET 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Hudson is great.
> and by ".." I don't mean Tinderbox or any alternative.
> I mean vs. my own ongoing development.
>
> Things are working for me.
> I build AMD64_DARWIN repeatly, using the built cm3, with -O3.
>
> It all works.
>
> Sometimes I boot1.py to other platforms, which exercises a fair amount.
>
> Yet Hudson is getting various internal compiler errors, on some platforms.
> e.g. Darwin, Solaris.

Yes, those are broken currently.

> But not all, I think e.g. FreeBSD, Linux.
> And it isn't using optimization realize.
>    Possible but unlikely that -O3 is covering up problems. Usually
> optimization
>    only ever hurts, doesn't help, in terms of getting a successful
> compilation.
>
> I strongly suspect this is due to cm3 vs. cm3cg mismatch.
> I believe upgrade.sh works.
> I believe the regression scripts work now, by using upgrade.sh.
> Except if you run "build" w/o "m3cc" and it picks up old cm3cg.
>
> Can we somehow easily "reset" everything?
> I have tried somewhat, but it was tedious and didn't clearly work.
>
> Going back to rel 5.8.6 and then upgrade.sh should work.

I think we can insert that as a last fallback: build from the
last-rel version (which should be 5.8.6).
I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

> I don't want to have to visit every node or do my own boot1.py +
> boot2.sh again.
> I did that fairly recently, when Hudson was definitely not upgrading
>  cm3/cm3cg properly.
> I *think* it does now, but I think it got mixed up in some cases.
> e.g. maybe by building "build" w/o building "m3cc"? Maybe that
> guarantees it picks
> up an old mismatched cm3cg?

On your own systems (xdarwin) you could easily inject a working pair
of cm3/cm3cg into the last-ok pool, that should fix mismatches.

Olaf