[M3devel] UI, Trestle, native... Cocoa??

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 28 08:38:16 CEST 2010

I think what is a bit unusual about Trestle is how much it implements itself.

It does *not* appear to be a thin wrapper around a native event or control or window management interface. It appears to handle event routing itself, clipping itself, some aspects of drawing itself. I think it might only depend on the ability to draw dots, and to get some form of keyboard/mouse events.

*and* it is multithreaded.
Unusual for GUI libraries (e.g. Java swing).

Whenever I read about it, I get lost once they start talking about the locking protocol.

The "split" layout mechanism seems maybe nice.
  It bugs me how Windows encouraged pixel count layout and how much fixed size gui there is.

I suspect the authors knew or discovered far more than any of us here.

You probably can make a decent binding to Cocoa.
But I don't know.

Runtime and compiler support, often allow for nicer syntax, but I really don't know if a mere wrapper library will be nice/graceful or not. I would suggest looking into if you have enough "generation" ability to, e.g. spit the headers back out, or generate a nicer C++ library. And then you can probably without much difficulty make either a "straightforward" wrapper library or maybe even something a bit more idiomatic ... e.g. do you use OBJECT or not?

 > Trestle under X did not took my breath

I find Trestle GUI pretty difficult to interact with.
Using scrollbars for example.
I have trouble with most X GUI actually.

The Win32 changes are a bit encouraging though. With only a little bit of change the GUI is a slightly less little bit better. We still don't have the dpi problem fixed properly. I don't have a high dpi system.

Qt looks very nice...