[M3devel] 5.8.6 LINUXLIBC6 breakage, kernel 2.6.23, glibc-2.6-4

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 7 23:25:04 CEST 2011

Problems with cvsupd are understood and believed fixed.
It depended on all threads surviving fork, instead of just the one forking thread.
Which is what userthreads did and which is what pthreads never did and never will do.
No threads survive fork+exec, which is what most users of fork do. But cvsupd uses
the "fork and do more work" pattern.
Userthreads have been changed to be like pthreads.

Past problems with cvsupd on pthreads should NOT be used to think about problems anywhere else in the system.

If cvsupd still doesn't work, then that is possibly relevant to the rest of the system.

 - Jay