[M3devel] malloc/free from Modula-3?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 19 08:15:49 CEST 2011

Here is where malloc/calloc/free are handled,
in a new, somewhat redundant way, that reduces/eliminates the burden at higher levels:

jbook2:src jay$ pwd
/dev2/cm3/m3-libs/m3core/src
jbook2:src jay$ edit C/Common/CstdlibC.c

M3WRAP_NO_SWITCHING(void*, Cstdlib__malloc, malloc, (WORD_T a), (a))
M3WRAP_NO_SWITCHING(void*, Cstdlib__calloc, calloc, (WORD_T a, WORD_T b), (a, b))
M3WRAP_RETURN_VOID_NO_SWITCHING(Cstdlib__free, free, (void* a), (a))

Now, if you have other C code that is calling malloc/free, you
still need to disable switching around that.

Perhaps all calls to <*extern*> functions should disable/enableswitching.
Perhaps.
The real answer is though, make sure pthreads and Win32 threads work,
and then don't do much to make user threads faster or easier to maintain.

see m3core/src/m3core.h for definitions of those macros.
They should be pretty clear.
If not, run the C preprocessor over those files and look at the results.

--
The traditional correct thing is to wrap Cstdlib.malloc/Cstdlib.free whereever they are called.
But I kept finding this missing, got fed up with it, fixed it at a lower level.

 - Jay