[M3devel] Text.Hash in CM3 vs PM3

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Sat Feb 19 01:22:50 CET 2011

Hi m3devel,

Am I reading the code correctly if I say that Text.Hash (e.g.,
String8.Hash) is approximately four times slower (on i386 and other
32-bit systems) in CM3 than it was in PM3 (eight times on Alpha and amd64)
(i.e., UnsafeHash.Hash)?  More, I suppose, on Alpha 21164 and Alpha 21064,
which don't even have byte operations...

Does anyone out there depend on the specific hash values of existing
strings?  (I'm not sure the SRC/PM3 algorithm can be adapted to CM3,
maybe it can...)

     Mika