[M3devel] Problems building CM3 from trunk.

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Fri Jun 10 17:42:12 CEST 2011

Hi all:
besides, that the existence of linker, intermediate and low level cross assemblers from 16032 to ARM and a low level debugger in Acorn, though did live there until don't know when (even a PC emulator written back circa 1986,  available for their internal use).
Some information had appeared in some of the manuals, I refer FYI one:
http://mdfs.net/Docs/Books/ARMCoPro/ARMAssem.rtf
Similar to others that may be available

Ok, besides that, I would want to ask you please if you may tell me whether m3cg currently generates private structures or generated gcc compiler tree-lang or both of them, this is because if the former or the later we then have a lot of common with an UW-Milwaukee Professor John Boyland's PhD thesis [1] (a copy is larger than the one of the below url, by 134 pages, sorry there is not m3cg available man page):

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1996/CSD-96-916.pdf

Main difference I believe is that it targeted Oberon-2 (and doesn't generate M3CG µ-code), so it circumvents that, but formalizes through a description layer, but given compiler comparison available documentation in [2], we could be able to re target it for Modula-3, in fact his thesis proposes it (besides other Algol-derived languages plus another Module implementing intermediate tree-lang to C backend). In fact XDS Oberon-2/Modula-2 compiler that generates both target machine and C language, and it's based on Modula-3 compiler (so it might generate M3CG if so), see:
http://wrapl.sourceforge.net/links.html#Programming_Languages

Yet another example of this Tycoon's TML which generates C:
http://wwwmatthes.in.tum.de/file/Publications/1992/Math92/codegen.ps.gz

or indirectly through VM level (after the above, like Boyland thesis):
http://wwwmatthes.in.tum.de/file/Publications/1994/GaMa94/paper.pdf

Yet before they tried Quest Cardelli's language machine and adding some persistence capabilities (a functional language stack based virtual machine):
http://wwwmatthes.in.tum.de/file/Publications/1991/Matt91/P-Quest-Manual.ps.gz

Thanks in advance

[1] J. T. Boyland, “Descriptional composition of compiler components,” University of California, Berkeley, 1996.

[2]Computer abstracts. 1993. p152