[M3devel] Subject: Re: Fw: Modula-3 questions

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 21 05:33:01 CEST 2012

 > So could development on the compiler be sold as a way of gaining concrete skills in compiler development (IIRC it's all developed in C)?
 This merits correction:   The compile is largely written in Modula-3.   It is broken up into a "builder", front end, other parts, and backends.   The NT/x86 backend is written in Modula-3 and outputs .obj files directly.   The "builder", front end, middle stuff, cross-module checking stuff (something related to "linking", depending on your point of view), NT/x86 backend are all linked into one executable -- cm3.   The other backend is gcc. When using it cm3 outputs an intermediate form, that the gcc thing reads back in.   The rest is written in Modula-3.    - Jay > From: mark at wickensonline.co.uk