[M3devel] Renewed interest in Modula-3 in HP Labs

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Sun Jun 3 23:48:42 CEST 2012

Hi all:
for sure yes, it's a first-order prototype-oriented functional programming language for writing programming language's type systems (in Spanish-native tongue countries like Abadi's, most common games or toy tool are Baby dolls, if you care. hence its name if I may say so).
Basically the  language itself is not dissimilar from Modula-3 in its object-oriented part. It has a type system in lambda calculus, written for its meta-languages as well (e.g. Modula-3). Its denotational semantics are expressed in a natural deduction system logic.
Basically was constructed to explain object oriented languages, though it wasn't written specially for that, but for type system calculus construction (you could say a kind of IBM's Axiom for computers science type theoretician  if I may say so).
No other system besides DEC ones had ever play with it (its functional language although simple is not easily executable so Cardelli and others decide to use a different calculus for their joint Book "A Theory of Objects"). But at the  very core issue of unification it lead the work on type systems for its times.
Thanks in advance