[M3devel] Windows, Unicode file names

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Jun 26 18:00:05 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 08:46:18PM +0000, Jay K wrote:

> Somewhat but not fully.  Text.Length should fetch a stored length. As
> I'm sure it already does.That length should always be correctly
> maintained. Same as today.Adding one extra nul at the end doesn't
> invalidate the data.std::string has the same properties -- c_str() can
> on-demand append a terminal nul,but there could also be one in the
> string itself.I understand it is a bit wierd.  Maintaining a terminal
> nul does add cost that might be wasted.And reduces the capacity by
> one.It could be on-demand, I guess.   - Jay

Don't need the 'on demand'.  For the benefits of C interoperability, the
extra byte is well worth the price.  What I'm worrying about is someone
using an enbedded NUL as an end-of-string marker.  I smell more bugs
creeping in.  But I guess bug are inherent in C use, so I'm not
surprised seeing them in C interoperation.

-- hendrik